How to use the Rug Doctor
When using an electrical appliance, basic precautions should always be followed. Please read our Rug Doctor safety guide below. Remember to always take care when lifting the machine and seek assistance if necessary.
Safety instructions for use of electrical equipment
- Do not leave appliance when plugged in. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before servicing.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of electric shock or injury, please observe the following:
- Do not allow to be used as a toy.
- Close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
- Use only as described in this manual.
- Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
- Do not use with damaged cord or plug. If appliance is not working correctly, has been dropped, damaged, left outdoors, or dropped into water, return it to the rental outlet.
- Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close a door on cord, or pull the cord around sharp edges or corners.
- Do not run appliance over cord. Keep cord away from hot or heated surfaces.
- Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug the machine, grasp the plug.
- Do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
- Do not put any object into openings.
- Do not use with any openings blocked; keep free of dust, lint, hair and anything that may reduce air flow.
- Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers and all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
- Turn off all controls before unplugging.
- Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.
- Do not use to pick up flammable or combustible liquids or use in areas where they may be present.
- Do not use to pick up anything that is burning or smoking, such as cigarettes, matches or hot ash.
- Do not use without filters in place.
- Connect to a properly grounded outlet only.
- See “Earthing Instructions.”
- Do not use on heavily saturated surfaces.
- Do not place machine in standing water or try to clear flooded areas.
- Do not clean over floor electrical outlets.
- Do not use without upper (white) tank in place.
- The use of an extension cord is not recommended.
This appliance must be earthed. If it should malfunction or break down, earthing provides a path of least resistance for electric current to reduce the risk of electric shock. The Rug Doctor machine is equipped with a cord having an equipment-earthing conductor and earthing plug. The plug must be plugged into an appropriate outlet that is properly installed and earthed in accordance with all legal guidelines.
DANGER: Improper connection of the equipment-earthing conductor can result in a risk of electrical shock. Check with a qualified electrician or service person if you are in doubt as to whether the outlet is properly earthed. Do not modify the plug provided with the appliance. If it will not fit the outlet, have a proper outlet installed by a qualified electrician. This appliance is for use on a nominal 230-240 volt circuit, and has an earthed plug.
User Maintenance Instructions
When using the Rug Doctor extraction machine, care should be taken to ensure that the power cord is not damaged by sharp objects, excessive bending, pulling or pinching. When the cleaning task has been completed, the power cord should be stored by wrapping it around cord hooks on the handle. Tuck the plug between the layers of cord. All servicing of Rug Doctor machines should be performed only by authorised service representatives.